Current:Home > NewsRekubit Exchange:Gabon coup attempt sees military chiefs declare election results "cancelled" and "end to current regime" -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Gabon coup attempt sees military chiefs declare election results "cancelled" and "end to current regime"
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 23:10:02
A group of high-ranking military officers in the West African nation of Gabon announced on Rekubit Exchangepublic television Wednesday that they were "putting an end to the current regime" and annulling the results of national elections. The statement came just after the country's election authority declared President Ali Bongo Ondima the winner of another term in office.
The coup leaders said they had placed Bongo under house arrest, "surrounded by his family and doctors," and that one of his sons had been arrested for "treason."
Bongo has been in power in the country for 14 turbulent years, following in the footsteps of his father who led the nation for more than four decades before him. French news agency AFP reported that the area around Bongo's residence in the capital Libreville appeared quiet, but that gunfire was heard elsewhere during the officers' announcement.
In video played on loop on state TV after the soldiers' declaration, Brice Oligui Nguema, the head of the country's Republican Guard — the elite military unit tasked with protecting national leaders — was seen held aloft and paraded through the streets as hundreds of fellow soldiers chanted "Oligui president," AFP reported.
In an unverified video that appeared to have been recorded inside the presidential residence and then shared on social media by a Gabonese journalist, a man identifying himself as Bongo was seen Wednesday calling on "all the friends that we have all over the world, to tell them to make noise, for the people here have arrested me and my family. My son is somewhere, my wife is in another place."
"I don't know what's going on," he added.
If the coup attempt in Gabon is successful, it will be the eighth in West and Central Africa since 2020. The last one, in Niger, took place in July. High-ranking military officers have also seized power in Mali, Guinea, Burkina Faso and Chad.
"All the institutions of the republic are dissolved," an officer on television earlier Wednesday, surround by a dozen or so fellow troops. "The government, the Senate, the National Assembly and the Constitutional Court."
He also announced the closure of the country's borders "until further notice."
The August 26 election "did not meet the conditions for a transparent, credible and inclusive ballot so much hoped for by the people of Gabon," the commander said. "We have decided to defend peace by putting an end to the current regime."
"To this end, the general elections of 26 August 2023 and the truncated results are cancelled," he said, claiming to speak on behalf of a "Committee for the Transition and Restoration of Institutions."
The army said it had restored internet to the country Wednesday after a three-day blackout. Bongo's government had imposed the shut-off to prevent "false news" from spreading, it claimed. The national broadcasting authority had also banned several French channels, accusing their election coverage of "a lack of objectivity and balance."
The recent presidential, legislative and municipal elections in Gabon took place without election observers. Before the polls closed on Saturday, Bongo's main rival Ondo Ossa — who won 30% of the ballot according to the previously announced results — accused Bongo of fraud and said he was the real winner.
Ossa's campaign manager Mike Jocktane said Monday that Bongo should hand over power "without bloodshed," insisting a partial count showed Ossa was clearly ahead. He didn't provide any evidence.
World reacts to an "attempted coup d'etat"
A spokesperson from the government of France, the former colonial power in Gabon, condemned the "coup which is underway," while the African Union said Wednesday that it also "strongly condemns the attempted coup d'etat."
"It's deeply concerning," White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said Wednesday. "We were going to watch this closely, and we're going to continue to do everything we can to support the idea of democratic ideals that are expressed by the African people."
The Reuters news agency earlier quoted the White House as saying that all personnel at the U.S. Embassy in Libreville, and the small number of U.S. troops in the country, were accounted for.
China also said it was "closely following the developing situation" and called for Bongo's safety to be "guaranteed."
Russia said Wednesday it was "deeply concerned" about the situation in Gabon and "closely following what is going on there."
- In:
- Burkina Faso
- Africa
- Mali
- Gabon
- coup d'etat
Frank Andrews is a CBS News journalist based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (7114)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Four local employees of Germany’s main aid agency arrested in Afghanistan
- Mega Millions winning numbers for Black Friday drawing; Jackpot at $305 million
- How did humans get to the brink of crashing climate? A long push for progress and energy to fuel it
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- Florida sheriff’s deputies shoot driver who pointed rifle at them after high speed chase
- Rosalynn Carter tributes will highlight her reach as first lady, humanitarian and small-town Baptist
- Criminals are using AI tools like ChatGPT to con shoppers. Here's how to spot scams.
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Indiana fires football coach Tom Allen despite $20 million buyout
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Shania Twain makes performance debut in Middle East for F1 Abu Dhabi concert
- Archaeologists discover mummies of children that may be at least 1,000 years old – and their skulls still had hair on them
- Former UK leader Boris Johnson joins a march against antisemitism in London
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Afraid of overspending on holiday gifts? Set a budget. We'll show you how.
- 3 men of Palestinian descent attending holiday gathering shot, injured near University of Vermont
- Pope Francis says he has lung inflammation but will go to Dubai this week for climate conference
Recommendation
'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
Josh Giddey playing for Thunder as NBA probes alleged relationship with minor
Supporting nonprofits on GivingTuesday this year could have a bigger impact than usual
Timeline: The mysterious death of Stephen Smith in Murdaugh country
Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
Ex-Binance CEO Changpeng Zhao asks judge to let him leave U.S. before sentencing for money laundering
‘You’ll die in this pit': Takeaways from secret recordings of Russian soldiers in Ukraine
Florida's Jamari Lyons ejected after spitting at Florida State's Keiondre Jones